Are you looking for grey cat names? We’ve got a wonderful list of name ideas for you, including options that are cute, strong, funny, inspired by nature, and more.
Sleek, striking, and slightly mysterious, cats with grey coloring are gorgeous creatures. The color grey is all the rage right now, from countless grey interior decorations to articles declaring that “grey is the new beige.”
But owners of grey cats were all about grey before it was trendy!
If you decide to bring a grey cat into your home, we have excellent grey cat names we’d love to share with you.
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Color
Here’s a no-brainer: Why not give your cat a name based on its grey color?
You might think this is boring since there’s only one word for grey, right? Oh no, you are mistaken. There are many different words to describe the color grey and its various shades.
Check out these grey kitten names inspired by color and see what you think.
- Earl Grey
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Fur Pattern
Many cats aren’t solid grey. Instead, their fur can have stripes, patches, and other distinctive patterns.
The pattern and style of your grey cat’s fur can provide great inspiration for a unique, personalized name for your kitten.
- Salt ‘n Pepper
Names Inspired by Nature
If you look around outside, you’ll notice that nature is full of grey colors—the stones in a park, the sky during a storm, the smoke from a fire.
Take a look outside, and you’ll find surprising names that are original and beautiful. Here are some examples.
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Other Animals
Many other animals are well known for being grey. So how fun would it be to name your feline after one of these creatures?
By naming your cat after another grey animal, you’ll recognize your cat’s fur color and provide a good laugh for others.
Cartoon Grey Cats
Cartoons are another great place to look for grey cat name inspiration.
Sure, orange and black cats seem to be much more prevalent, but there are still plenty of grey cats who’ve graced TV and movie screens. Here are some of the most famous cat names.
- Berlioz (from The Aristocats)
- Diana (from Sailor Moon)
- Fritz (from Fritz the Cat)
- Mr. Business (Bob’s Burgers)
- Mr. Kitty (South Park)
- Nermal (from Garfield)
- Rita (from Animaniacs)
- Scat Cat (from The Aristocats)
- Scratchy (Itchy & Scratchy from The Simpsons)
- Snowball (The Simpsons)
- Tom (of Tom & Jerry fame)
Other Popular Grey Characters
Many other charismatic, adorable grey characters have captured our hearts throughout the years. These, too, make for charming grey cat names.
Below are some of the most popular grey characters and cartoons in history. Please let us know if we’re missing any in the comments below.
- Albus (Dumbledore – grey-bearded wizard from Harry Potter)
- Baloo (from The Jungle Book)
- Bugs (as in Bugs Bunny)
- Donkey (from Shrek)
- Dumbo (from Dumbo, of course)
- Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh)
- Komala (from Pokemon)
- Meeko (from Pocahontas)
- Rocky (from The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends)
- Thumper (from Bambi)
Funny Grey Cat Names
Funny names are also a good choice, and these funny ideas are explicitly tailored for grey furballs.
Take a look at the list below and get ready to laugh out loud.
- Alexander the Gray
- Anastasia Gray
- Dorian Gray
- Earl Grey
- Fenrir Grayback
- Gandalf the Gray
- Grey Worm
- Grey Gatsby
- Grey Poupon
- Iron Man
- Jennifer Grey
- Lady Grey
- Meredith Grey
Tough Grey Cat Names
Some cats are born with a bit of extra grit and determination, so if you’ve got a pet that’s a little more tough and tenacious than the average cat, no matter whether male or female, these strong grey names might be up your alley.
Grey and Silver in Other Languages
And finally, another great way to find a unique cat name is to explore translations in other languages.
It turns out the words grey and silver in other languages make for some pretty cool names.
You can start by figuring out if your cat is more grey or silver and go from there. Or you can pick the language you like the most and select that translation.
And, of course, you could pick the name that most sticks out!
- Abu-abu (grey in Indonesian)
- Argent (silver in French)
- Argento (silver in Italian)
- Arian (silver in Welsh)
- Boz (grey in Azerbaijani)
- Cawl (grey in Somali)
- Ceniza (ash in Spanish)
- Fidda (silver in Maltese)
- Grau (grey in German)
- Grigio (grey in in Italian)
- Gris (grey in French and Spanish)
- Hiriwa (silver in Maori)
- Hopea (silver in Finnish)
- Kelabu (grey in Malay)
- Liath (grey in Irish)
- Plata (silver in Spanish)
- Prata (silver in Portuguese)
- Siva (silver in Slovenian and Croatian)
- Szary (grey in Polish)
- Zilarra (silver in Basque)
As you see above, grey isn’t dull. Our list includes 175+ grey cat names that range from funny to tough to translations and so much more.
If you have other grey cat name ideas, we’d love to hear them! Leave us a comment below. We use your ideas to keep our site fresh.
More Cat Name Ideas
If you’d like even more options, try our kitten name generator!
It allows you to sort by your favorite styles and themes to find the perfect name quickly. Voila!
Some other great name lists include:
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
Here’s an important question: how do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your cat?
After years of helping new cat owners find the perfect name, here are some tips we’ve picked up along the way:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great on paper but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you become set on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue because after all, you’ll be saying it many times a day once the cat joins your family!
- Does it fit your cat? Check to see if the name matches your cat’s personality and appearance before committing to a name.
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine calling for your cat with this name? If not, then it’s not the right choice. Move on and select something more appropriate.
- And finally, trust your gut. Ask any new cat owner: when you find the right name, you’ll know it!